Want to fulfill your career as a Biochemist, know all the details about this before choosing this as a career. Biochemistry is a branch of science that deals with the chemistry of living organisms and that of their biological processes. How will a career in Biochemistry look like? A career in Biochemistry shall involve the person’s ability in comprehending the entire chemical combinations and reactions that will take place because of the biological processes and conditions like growth, reproduction, heredity and metabolism etc. The vast arena of environment shall also be taken into consideration if organism is considered. People who are in the field of Biochemistry are often refers to as Biochemists. They aim to study the structures and functions of enzymes, proteins, carbohydrates, fats, processes of metabolism and the molecular basis of action of genes also form a part of biochemistry.
HOW TO BECOME A BIOCHEMIST?
Today the field of Biochemistry is gaining momentum and importance because of its ability to make significant contributions towards illumination and grasping of the DNA structure. Biochemists are involved in research related works, they can choose from a variety of specializations and almost all the specializations require good research techniques and develop better analytical skills in collecting and producing better information.
COURSES AND SPECIALISATIONS UNDER BIOCHEMISTRY
|Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry||Molecular Biology|
|Master of Science in Biochemistry||Energy and Metabolism|
|M.Phil in Biochemistry||Bioinformatics|
|Ph.D. in Biochemistry||Genetics|
|Cell Biology||Development and Disease|
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AND ADMISSION PROCEDURE
· For a Bachelor’s Degree in Biochemistry: candidates must have passed higher secondary education 10+2 level of examination with biology and maths as subjects also securing a minimum of 50 percent marks. The duration for this course is 3 years.
· For a Master’s Degree in Biochemistry, the student must have a bachelor’s from a relevant area or field and from a recognized university/institution. The duration for this course is 2 years.
· Admission in colleges for an undergraduate programme in Biochemistry is usually based on entrance exams, conducted by the university itself. In some cases, significant consideration is also given to 10+2 level results as well.
· For admissions to a Master’s degree or an Post-graduate course, the selection is based on merit. Selection for Ph.D. courses is only through the qualification of entrance tests like UGC-NET, CSIR, and GATE and even through conducting personal interviews.
· Let us check all the various details of all the courses along with the eligibility criteria
|COURSES||ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA||TIME DURATION|
|B.Sc. (Biochemistry)||10+2 or equivalent with at least 50% from science stream||3 Years|
|B.Sc.(Hons)(Biochemistry)||10+2 or equivalent with at least 50% from science stream||3 Years|
|B.Sc. (Medical Biochemistry)||10+2 or equivalent with at least 50% from science stream||3 Years|
|M.Sc. (Biochemistry)||A graduate degree in science||2 Years|
|M.Sc.(Hons)(Biochemistry)||A graduate degree in science||2 Years|
|M.Sc.(Medical Biochemistry)||A graduate degree in science||2 Years|
|M.Sc. (Plant Biochemistry)||A graduate degree in science||2 Years|
|M.Phil.( Applied Chemistry)||A postgraduate degree||2 Years|
|M.Phil (Biochemistry)||A postgraduate degree||2 Years|
|M.Phil.+Phd (Biochemistry)||A postgraduate degree||5 Years|
|Phd (Fluid Dynamics)||A postgraduate degree||3 Years|
|Phd(Biochemistry)||A postgraduate degree||3 Years|
|M.D. (Biochemistry)||M.B.B.S.||3 Years|
· Bachelor’s Degree; Rs 35,000 to 1,50,000
· Master’s degree: Rs 32,000 to 2,50,000
· Ph.D. – Rs 45,000 to 4,00,000
Institute of Medical Sciences and Sum Hospital, Bhubaneswar
Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belgaum
JSS Medical College, Mysore
K S Hegde Medical College, Mangalore
Father Muller Medical College, Mangalore
BLDE University Shri B M Patil Medical College, Bijapur
GCS Medical College, Ahmedabad
A J Institute of Medical Sciences, Mangalore
A biochemist can work in fields like medical, agriculture, public health care, forensic environment etc. Some of the tremendous scopes and opportunities to explore various career options are:
· Research Scientist
· Research Associates
· Clinical Scientist
· Biomedical Scientist
· Laboratory Technician
PAY SCALE AND SALARIES
Biochemistry jobs are often lucrative and easy to come by. The pay scale ranges from Rs 20,000 to 25,000. With more knowledge and experience, there are different pay packages.
By Tunisha Banerjee
Also Read :