JEE preparation is one of the toughest tasks for students. JEE aspirants need to devote hours of hard work in studying every day to get through the exam. Students are under the misconception of assuming Chemistry to be a fairly easy subject as compared with Physics and Mathematics, and they neglect the importance of studying this scoring subject. It is very necessary to focus on all the three subjects equally to get a great All India Rank, but students under the false notion of not focusing on Chemistry cost their own JEE rank.
The consistent study and prolonged hard work are the keys to success in JEE, whether it may be about any subject but preparation is done with pure dedication and daily revision of concepts can serve blunder results. Chemistry is less about concepts and applications, but more about planning. Understanding Chemistry can ensure good marks in the final exam. Preparing for JEE is a daunting task, therefore strategic planning is the need of the hour.
Apprehensions Related to Learning the Subject
Students tend to focus more on Mathematics and Physics, as the concepts of these subjects are proved years ago that keep the aspirants indulged in learning and entertained throughout the process. They leave chemistry behind considering it to be an easy subject. At an early stage, they discard the importance of JEE Main 2020 of learning the basics of Chemistry that hampers them in building interest in the very subject thereafter. Students think Chemistry requires them to cram all the information without logical proof, and there are so many exceptions in this subject which makes the leaning process too monotonous for them.
Realizing the Importance of the Subject
Chemistry might be about remembering several exceptions, illogical proofs, and monotonous learning but it is one of the most scoring areas of the JEE exam. It is one of the reasons why students are able to clear the cutoff of the exam and boost their rank by scoring well in this section alone. Therefore, students should realize the importance of learning the concepts of Chemistry and try to make it their strong subject to ensure a good score in the JEE examination.
Reasons to Learn Chemistry
• Chemistry is the easiest subject among the three if students learn it with full dedication, the difficulty level of the Chemistry section is low as compared to other sections as JEE asks straight forward questions on this subject, which makes it probable for students to score high in the exam.
• Students can save time by answering the Chemistry section first, as the questions are text-based which students can remember from the textbooks and can finish off answering them in the shortest amount of time.
• Chemistry topics are independent of each other, even if students are weak in any specific topic of Chemistry, they do not need to worry about it because unlike other subjects, they will not face questions on interrelated topics.
Key Points for Scoring Well in Chemistry
Scoring a perfect 100+ out of 120 in Chemistry is not an easy task, well not also that difficult. There are some key points that students need to remember for scoring well in the Chemistry section. It is important to divide the subject into three categories, namely: Physical, Organic and Inorganic Chemistry, and handling one after the other.
Guideline to Ace Physical Chemistry
• It is very important to understand the concepts of Physical Chemistry logically, and solving an enormous amount of numerical every day. Students should not cram every formula but try to understand the logic behind everything. Physical Chemistry plays a crucial role in evolving the underlying principles which involve the concept of occurring reactions. It includes basics topics like mole concept, thermodynamics, atomic structure, solutions, chemical energetic, solid-state, gaseous state, chemical kinetics, and equilibrium, etc.
• If concepts of Physical Chemistry are on the fingertips of students, then it becomes very easy to score well In Chemistry overall. It is advised to practice questions from every chapter of this section thoroughly as they are a bit complex.
• Mole Concept is a very important topic of Physical Chemistry, as it helps in understanding other topics like Chemical Equilibrium, kinetics and Electrochemistry easily.
Guideline to Ace Organic Chemistry
• Organic Chemistry is totally based on the compounds of Carbon element and includes topics like IUPAC, Resonance, Isomerism, Hybridization, Hyperconjugation, Hydrocarbons, Halides, Alcohols and Stereoisomerism, etc. it contributes to about 30-40% of the Chemistry section and demands a lot of practice to understand the basic concepts and remember several kinds of reactions.
• Students tend to dislike the subject because it is a common perception that they have to memorize every reaction, but they can develop an interest in the subject by choosing some good books like LG Wade to study Organic Chemistry that will help them understand the logic behind every reaction.
• Students should focus on all the parameters like reactants, catalysts, nucleophiles, electrophiles, reaction exceptions, reaction mechanisms, and intermediate and final products of the name reactions.
• Students should try to recognize the logic behind every name reaction by noting them down in a notebook and recall them during the revision sessions.
Guideline to Ace Inorganic Chemistry
• Inorganic Chemistry is based on the Periodic table and Chemical reactions involved with every element of it. Inorganic chemistry may be about remembering things by cramming all the information, but it proves to be very scoring because their questions are asked on the basic concepts and their direct applications. The topics include analytical Chemistry, Chemical reactions, Coordination Compounds, and Metallurgy. It has about 25-30% weight in the Chemistry section, and acing these questions within a couple of minutes can help students enhance their score and secure a great merit.
• Studying from a good book is necessary to understand the logic behind every reaction and the hidden concepts easily, OP Tandon is a great book for studying Inorganic Chemistry to build a grasp on the subject.
• It is required to study and link the theory with the Periodic table elements to build a direct relation, and understanding the properties of every element with the help of trend analysis.
• Memorizing the colors of the final and by-products is difficult, using color coding for learning the qualitative analysis of the elements will create a picture memory of colors in the minds of students.
Preparation Tips to Score High in JEE Chemistry
• Using the Best Books to Study –Students are found to be wasting their time on books which are not relevant to the course of JEE or which should only be used as a reference, it is necessary to study the summarized topics ad every detail within a book as the preparation time is limited. Students can choose NCERT, and caching modules to gather knowledge of every topic gradually. It is recommended to study a single book 10 times rather than reading 10 books only once.
• Practicing Numerical Every day–Students can retain the knowledge gained from Chemistry easily If they practice enough every day. Students should make it a habit to solve at least 60 objective questions daily within 45 minutes, as questions in Chemistry get repeated with a slight difference every year.
• Solving Past Year Papers – Solving past year papers introduce students to the exam pressure at their vicinity. Reviewing the answers will help them analyze their weak sections and identify new concept-based questions. Students can work upon these areas to build a higher score.
• Analysis and Approximation of the Options – There are several textbook based questions asked in the JEE exam in which students do not need to solve them using pen and paper but rather check the options by analyzing them. Eliminating the least probable choices leads to finding the correct answer quickly. Students do not need to calculate the final answer if options are not really close, they can just find the approximate answer which will save them a lot of time.
• Time Management –It is necessary to manage time while attempting the question in the JEE exam, the strategy should be to spend the least amount of time and scoring the maximum marks. Students should rather try to attempt the Chemistry section within 45 minutes and devour the remaining time to other subjects. Solving the JEE paper requires proper planning and executing the well-planned strategy efficiently.
• Keeping Calm and Using Presence of Mind –It is very important for the students to keep their calm as being relaxed helps them in facing the JEE questions confidently. It stops them from panicking in the crucial hour and works as a success Mantra. Attempting the Chemistry questions initially will help students in qualifying the exam as they might clear the cutoff by answering easy questions first, this also keeps their minds at ease and then they can use their presence of mind in the examination to attempt other subject questions.