The students of English Literature study literary texts and scrutinize and discuss those texts, acquire academic knowledge and critical approaches that shape their way of viewing literature today.
Apart from the skills mentioned above, communication and writing skills are also developed in English literature courses. However, most students may wonder what we can do with a degree in English Literature. This article answers these questions and gives a detailed description of the benefits of studying English literature, the best colleges to pursue this course, and the prospective careers one can think of in this field.
Why Studying English Literature?
A degree in English literature is meant to enable you to read various literary pieces, analyse theories, criticize proses and verses, and look at the signs and words that surround us every day with more significant critical consideration. The purpose of studying literature is to make students think about the English language in a creative yet analytical way, and this differs from other modern language studies, as it is meant for students who already speak and know written English. A degree in English may also concentrate on literature and language sides, while others specialize in one or the other.
A course focused on English literature usually allows students to study literary texts along with their historical contexts. You will often start with modules from different periods covering various literature; for example, you may read Milton one week and Virginia Woolf the next. You will have to study and analyse passages that relate texts to their cultural, social, historical, and political contexts.
Besides, an English graduate trains students to analyse the English language’s functioning outside literature in all types of forms and contexts, including linguistic communications. This could include dissecting casual talk, text speech, advertising, or language uses in specialized legal and medical speeches.
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women, University of Delhi
- Christ University
- Maharaja Agrasen College, University of Delhi
- Presidency university
- Jadavpur University
- Symbiosis College of Arts and Commerce, Pune. Hindu College, Delhi
- St Stephens College, University of Delhi
- MCM DAV College for Women, Chandigarh
- Government College for Girls Sector- 14, Gurgaon
- St Xavier’s College, Ranchi
- School of Open Learning, University of Delhi Eligibility criteria: Students must have qualified 10+2 from a recognized board with at least 50% marks and English as a mandatory subject.
Candidates need to meet the cut-off mark to enter a university that offers BA in English.
· Editorial assistant
· English as a foreign language teacher
· College/ University Professor
· Magazine journalist
· Newspaper journalist
· Private tutor
· Publishing copy-editor/proof-reader.
· Linguist, Interpreter, probationary officer (in national banks)
· Jobs at various levels in the administration/ Civil Services
· Social Services (working in NGOs)
· Art and Culture (working at government agencies, galleries, and write for art and culture website)
· Advertising and Public Relations
By Abhra Roy
Also Read :