Himachal Pradesh University conducts entrance exams for the various graduates, postgraduates, and PhDs courses. The university is recognized by NAAC and UGC. It was established on 22 July 1970. The HPU has invited online applications from the eligible candidates to pursue Ph.D. available - Doctors of philosophy in chemistry, education, law, physics, english, social work, rural development, botany, zoology, public administration, computer science, biotechnology, sociology, commerce, etc.
HPU has more than 22 departments for aspirants to enrol themselves in Ph.D. under several departments and specialisations.
Ph.D. is a full-time regular classroom course of study pursued in class and seminars with regular attendance. A candidate seeking admission in HPU for the Ph.D. must have at least 55% in the concerned master’s level or equivalent for the unreserved category and for the ST/SC – 50%.
A relaxation of 55 is given to reserved categories.
Foreign degrees are also considered for admission if approved by a statutory body.
Previous students/teachers of HPU can directly apply for the respective seats.
Application form (ongoing)
Start date- 22-11-2021
Last date- 10-12-21 (11:55) P.M
HPU Entrance Exam Ph.D. 2021 exam date – 3rd week of December
Mode of Exam- offline
Admit card: will be released 2 weeks before exams.
Application and registration fees: 5000 INR.
No separate brochure will be published/ sold anywhere for the admission courses.
- Visit the official site.
- Click on the PG to access the list of programmes.
- Click on the desired programme and choose.
- Online entrance forms have the following details- personal information, education and document details, application summary, payment details, reference number, and application form.
- Fill in personal information and click on save at the end of the page.
- The system will generate the login ID and password.
- These credentials detail will be sent to students given phone number and mail id.
- Aspirants have to log out and then again log in themselves with the credential details by clicking on the student’s login.
- Fill in all the information related to personal, educational, and experience if asked in the different pages and save.
- Click on the continue and save at the bottom of the screen.
- Aspirants can use either online or offline methods to pay the fees. For offline mode, a challan is needed to be downloaded
- Before submitting the online application form, one should recheck all the data.
Before proceeding to apply
Scanned copy of the photograph
- Photograph should be formal.
- Photograph must be passport size and colour picture.
- Photograph must be taken directly facing the camera.
- Size should not exceed 100kb.
- Photo should be jpeg or jpg format.
Scanned copy of the signature
- Applicant should sign in black ink on white background.
- Maximum size- 100kb.
- File format should be jpg or jpeg.
HPU entrance exam scores are considered and a merit list is prepared on the basis of the performance in the exam. Some other national level exams are also considered such as GATE/UGC-NET – with a minimum of 20% marks obtained, SLET – with a minimum of 15% marks obtained.
Students can also apply for the several scholarships programmes on the merit bass or person with disability or ex-serviceman or coming from reserved category background.
Departments, seats, and specialisations
- Department of Mathematics- PhD Mathematics (4 seats).
- Department of Physics- PhD Physics (8 seats): experimental condensed matter physics, theoretical condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, and nuclear astrophysics.
- Department of biotechnology- PhD biotechnology (3 seats).
- Department of bio-sciences- PhD Botany (6 seats): microbiology, ethnobotany/plant, biodiversity, plant physiology. PhD zoology (10 seats): animal physiology, cytogenetic, biodiversity, and entomology.
- Department of computer science- PhD CS (5 seats)
- Department of Economics- PhD Economics (14 seats)
- Department of public administration- PhD public administration (07 seats)
- Department of sociology – Ph.D. sociology (02 seats), PhD social work (02 seats)
- Department of laws- PhD law (09 seats)
- Department of education – PhD education (01 seats)
- Department of commerce – PhD commerce (15 seats)
- Department of Sanskrit- PhD Sanskrit (02 seats)
- Department of chemistry – PhD Chemistry (07 seats): inorganic, organic, physical chemistry.
Details of the specialisation can be obtained from the concerned departments/ institutions. The number of seats may vary at the time of admission. The candidates are advised to regularly visit official sites for new notices. Exam patterns will be uploaded by the university on the official sites. The admissions are finalised on the merit basis of the exams and previous academic scores and respective interviews if conducted.
PhD scholarships and fellowships at HPU
Students’ aid fund: the students belonging to different financial backgrounds BPL or low-income backgrounds are eligible for this scholarship.
Cultural activists’ scholarships: this scholarship is awarded to 10 students who have excelled in academics.
Sports scholarship: this is awarded to 16 students for their outstanding performances in sports.
By Mithila Rathod