Video games have become an essentially social activity. There is a rise in the number of students turning their passion into careers in gaming in today's world. With the huge demand and increasing research in game studies, universities provide students with considerable degrees in designing video games. Let's look at the details of the courses and career options in game designing.
Game design is designing video games that aim to entertain, educate, or experiment (mainly the younger generation). Nowadays, video games are an essential focus of creativity and visualization as well as technical programming skills.
Top courses in Game Designing:
A. Diploma/Certificate Courses in Game Designing and Development:
1. Certificate in Gaming
2. Certificate course in Game Art & Design
3. Diploma in Game Design
4. Diploma in Game Design and Integration
5. Diploma in Game Programming
6. Diploma in Game Development
7. Diploma in Production Gaming
8. Diploma in Animation and Special Effect
9. Advance Diploma in Game Programming
10. Advanced Diploma in 3D Game Content Creation
B. Graduate Level Courses in Game Designing and Development
• B.Sc. in Gaming
• B.Sc. in Graphics, Animation, and Gaming
• B.Sc. in Animation Game Design and Development
• Bachelors in Media Animation and Design (BMAD)
• BA in Animation and Computer Graphics
• Bachelor of Fine Arts in Game Design
• BA (Hons) in Computer Games Design
• B.Tech in Computer Science and Game Development
• Bachelor of Information Technology
C. Master's Level Courses in Game Designing and Development
• M.Sc.in Game Design and Development
• M.Sc.in Animation and Multimedia
• Master's in Computer Graphics and Virtual Reality
• Integrated M.Sc. in Animation and Multimedia with Game Art and Design
To pursue a degree in game design, you must follow the criteria mentioned below. Though the requirements will vary depending on the program and institute, there are minimum standards that should be adhered to for any gaming course.
• In the case of Diploma and Bachelor's degree programs, you must complete a high school qualification or the equivalent of 10+2 with the minimum marks specified by the university.
• You must have a Bachelor's degree in any field to apply for any Master's degree (preferably science and technology specialization).
• If you plan to pursue game design courses abroad, you will need to submit IELTS/TOEFL scores on language skills, etc., along with a Statement of Purpose (SOP) and Letters of Recommendation (LORs).
Here are some of the Best Game Design institutions in India.
• Maya Academy of Advanced Cinematic (MAAC), Mumbai
• IIFA Multimedia Global School of Animation and Games
• New Delhi ICAT Design & Media College
• Academy of Animation and Gaming, Noida
• Arena Animation iPixio Animation College, Bangalore
• Bharti Vidyapeeth University, Pune
• Zee Institute of Creative Arts, Bangalore
Prospective careers in game designing:
• 2D and 3D Game Designer
• Concept or Storyboard Artist
• Systems Designer
• Graphics Designer
• Level Designer
• Digital Animator
• Character Artist or Animator
• Texture Artists
• Creative Writer
• Storyline Editor
• Graphics Simulator
• Game Tester or Quality Assurance
By Abhra Roy
Also Read :
- Best Career Options in Game Design and Development in India
- Bachelor of Science (Animation and Gaming)