Providing a scholarship to students can be described as an award of financial aid for a student to pursue their education further at a private elementary or secondary school or any such academic institution and such scholarships are based on criteria like academic merit, diversity and inclusion, athletic skill, financial need among others. India provides both funded and partially funded scholarships to undergraduate and graduates international students.
In India, there are scholarships available for students after classes 10 and 12, for girl students; there are category and state wise scholarships guaranteed also to the students. In this article, we may discuss some of the scholarships provided to students in India.
- STATE WISE SCHOLARSHIPS: A state-wise scholarship is a widespread category that contains the list of scholarships proposed by different state governments and other private organisations for particular states. Some of the state-wise scholarships are Bihar Scholarship, Maharashtra Scholarship- MahaDBT, Kerala Scholarship- DCE Scholarship, Odisha Scholarship, WBMDFC Scholarship and much more.
- CATEGORY WISE SCHOLARSHIPS: This section compiles all the important scholarships for SC/ST/OBC categories. There are categorised scholarships for class 10 and 12 students. Some of such category scholarships include Google Scholarship, e-Kalyan Scholarship, OBC Scholarship, SC Scholarship, Aditya Birla Scholarship, UGC Scholarship and much more.
- SCHOLARSHIPS PROVIDED TO GIRLS: These scholarships are provided so that the girls in India are intended to promote better education and career possibilities. Some of the scholarships are Indira Gandhi Scholarship, Kalpana Chawla Scholarship, Ladli Yojana, CBSE Scholarship and much more.
- SCHOLARSHIPS FOR PURSUING STUDENTS: These scholarships give monetary liberty to those students after passing class 12th, look up for undergraduate programs in Engineering, Medical, Arts, Science, Commerce, and other fields who face economic limitations in seeking their dream education. Such scholarships are Swami Vivekananda Scholarship, Bikash Bhavan Scholarship, DU Scholarship, Fair & Lovely Foundation Scholarship, Rhodes scholarship, Gandhi Fellowship and much more.
SOME OF THE POPULAR SCHOLARSHIPS PROVIDED TO INDIAN STUDENTS ARE:
1. Dr Abdul Kalam Scholarships
Below are the top scholarship programs in the name of our former President Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam.
1. Dr APJ Abdul Kalam IGNITE Awards
2. Abdul Kalam Technology Innovation National Fellowship
3. Dr Abdul Kalam International Undergraduate Scholarship
4. President APJ Abdul Kalam Postgraduate Fellowship
5. Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Scholarships (Jamia Millia Islamia)
6. AcSIR Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Summer Training Program
7. APJ Abdul Kalam Scholarship, Kerala
8. Fulbright Kalam Climate Fellowship
Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Scholarship 2021-2022: There are multiple scholarship schemes in the name of our former President Dr APJ Abdul Kalam. The sponsors of the scholarships are as follow
- Foreign Universities
- State Governments (India)
- Central Government of India and
- Private Organizations
These scholarships are beneficial to the students studying from the school level to the PhD and also for the research candidates.
Applications are invited from various authorities for the academic year 2021-2022. Interested candidates can go through the listed schemes and submit the application. The primary aim of all these schemes is to fulfil the dream of our former president i.e., “100 per cent literacy in India“.
2. Dr Manmohan Singh Scholarships
Online applications for the Dr Manmohan Singh Scholarship are invited by the University of Cambridge. Dr Manmohan Singh Scholarship 2021 is primarily meant for Indian Citizens who want to pursue a doctoral level of studies at St. John’s College, Cambridge. The main aim of the Dr Manmohan Singh Scholarship is to provide an opportunity to exceptionally meritorious candidates from India to pursue doctoral studies at St. John’s College, Cambridge with special emphasis on subjects like Social Sciences, Economics, Science and Technology.
PMSSS stands for Prime Minister’s Special Scholarship Scheme. This scheme is launched by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). Under this scheme, financial support is provided to students from Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh. Financial help is offered to the students to encourage them for higher studies.
4. US AWASTHI SCHOLARSHIP
US Awasthi Scholarship is a scholarship that is sponsored by IFFCO in Rural Innovation. This scholarship is for those who are eager to change the agricultural sector of the marketplace with one’s innovative approach to develop productivity in Agriculture. The main purpose is to help the youth gain and contribute towards the following aspects of society:
- The citizens of India are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- The applicants must have ideas on agricultural innovations and technologies.
- The applicants must be drawn from rural development.
- He/ She must be fervent and full of passion concerning healthcare regarding women, children, elders, education, hygiene, and infrastructure.
- The reach of the applicant’s ideas must cater to at least a million users.
- An e-commerce opening for farmers to buy agricultural products.
- A classifieds opening where farmers can buy and sell their Agri-based products.
- A polyglot discussion forum to share knowledge and best practices.
- A job portal IFFCO Yuva for rural youth, etc.
- Applicants must create an account and login into the new account.
- Then, Fill in all the required details asked in the application form.
- After that, submit your idea in the portal.
- Verify all the details before applying.
5. ORANGE TULIP SCHOLARSHIP
Maastricht University Netherlands provides scholarship programs for Indian Students to study in the Netherlands for higher education. The scholarship is awarded by higher education institutions, multinationals and government institutions to pursue Master Degree Program for the year 2021-22. Interested candidates can apply for the scholarship till April 1, 2021. The scholarship was founded by NESO India to provide an opportunity to Indian students to pursue their Master's program in the Netherlands. The level of courses included in the OTS scheme varies from one university to another.
- The candidate must have completed their graduation from India with 75% aggregate marks.
- Applicant must be a citizen of India
- Applicant should not have studied or worked previously in the Netherlands
- Applicants must have a very good command of English, both written and spoken. Required IELTS and TOEFL scores vary per faculty and study program.
- Applicants must have been admitted to a Master’s degree program at Maastricht University.
- Visit the official website of NESO India @nesoindia.org/scholarships
- Click on New Registration
- Click on the Orange Tulip Scholarship 2021
- Go through the application process and wait for the relevant university to confirm the application
- Once the University confirms the application, you can fill out the application form
- Download the application form and save it for future use.
The applications received will be reviewed by NESO India and forward to Tilburg University. From there on the applicants will be receiving the intimation letter upon selection of the scholarship program.
6. TATA SCHOLARSHIP
The scholarship has been established to ensure that the very best Indian students have access to Cornell University, regardless of their financial circumstances.
- Applicants must be a citizen of India and have attended secondary school in India
- Applicants must have offered admission to Cornell as an undergraduate student
- Also, he/she must be eligible for need-based financial aid
- Preference will be given to qualified students accepted to the College of Architecture, Art, and Planning; the College of Engineering; the Applied Economics and Management major in the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business; and majors across colleges in the biological sciences, physical sciences, and other “hard” sciences, as well as the social sciences
- Undergraduate applicants will be eligible for consideration for the Tata Scholarship if they have completed the admission application and have applied for financial aid
- All undergraduate applicants must apply for financial aid by completing the financial aid application process for international students
· To apply for international financial aid the following documentation is required:
- Complete the College Scholarship Service (CSS) PROFILE (Cornell’s CSS code is 2098)
- Additional information may be requested by the Office of Financial Aid.
7. SN BOSE SCHOLARSHIP
The SN Bose Scholarship is a collective initiative of the Science & Engineering Board [SERB], Department of Science and Technology [DST], Govt. of India, the Indo-U.S. Science and Technology Forum [IUSSTF] and WINStep Forward to provide financial aid and a platform to highly meritorious Indian Students to pursue their further studies from top universities in the US. The scholarships are merit-based and students from the top Indian colleges for respective disciplines with significant work and contribution in their topics receive the scholarship. The last date of application is November 30, 2021. The students enrolled in degree courses in the following disciples can apply for the fellowship:
- Mathematical and Computational Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Atmospheric Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- Indian Citizens who are currently pursuing a Master's or Bachelor's degree in the above-mentioned courses and disciplines from a recognized institute from India are eligible for the SN Bose scholarship. The detailed eligibility criteria are as mentioned below:
- PhD. Students are not eligible for the fellowship.
- Candidates are given rewards based on college expenses.
- Depending on the expenses the candidates' have to bear, Candidates can avail of the scholarship benefits.
- Roundtrip airfare will be provided.
- The Health Insurance of the candidate will be covered during the tenure of the degree.
- The candidates will also be given a stipend for their stay in the US.
- Candidates must fill in the application form in English and once submitted, the application form cannot be edited or changed.
- Candidates have to fill in a separate application form for each discipline.
- Candidates should limit the use of capital letters only to the necessary locations.
- Change of address needs to be informed to the program officer immediately if there is any after the submission of the application form.
- Candidates must give an elaborate report of the statement of purpose and research experience boxes to clearly and legibly explain their work and aspirations for the scholarships to the one reviewing it.
The candidates' application form will be reviewed thoroughly, taking into regard, the statement of purpose, fulfilment of eligibility criteria, research experience, letters of references, etc. The candidate will be informed about their selection via mail.
8. CCB SCHOLARSHIP
The Combined Counselling Board (CCB) is one of the most prestigious scholarships and welfare schemes in India. The CCB as an entity has an association with many other colleges that are affiliated to UGC, AICTE, MHRD, the government of India, state government boards, etc. In these colleges, students can avail scholarships up to 70% rebate in college admission fees. Almost up to 10-20% of seat reservation is given to CCB in leading/premier educational institutions of India. This scholarship scheme is open to SC/ST/general merit/ OBC/ minorities and economically backward classes. The last date of application is May 2021.
- This scholarship is open to courses ranging from Diploma, Medical courses, and Degree courses. More than 40 courses are eligible for availing scholarships under the CCB scheme.
- Candidates pursuing their current degree/ diploma course are eligible to apply. They should have obtained a minimum of 50 to 60% marks in the qualifying exam.
- The scholarship amount shall be provided as part of the college fee during admission. Depending on the college and the course selected, a benefit amount of 1 lakh to 4 lakh rupees shall be offered by CCB.
- The CCB and college trust shall together work out the scholarship amount to candidates.
- Hostel fees, boarding and lodging fees to be borne by the candidate only.
9. PFMS SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship amount is facilitated through the ‘Direct Benefits Transfer’ method to reach the candidate’s hands, reducing any foul play/misuse of money by other agents in the fund transmission process. Money is lent to the candidates’ account from the central government fund through the NEFT process.
List of Scholarships under PFMS
PFMS offers a wide range of scholarships that caters to different categories of students belonging to different levels of education, from school to college and merits based on reservation. The PFMS list of scholarships available for the year 2021-22 is listed below:
- PFMS Scholarship for College/University students
- PFMS Post-matric scholarships for SC/ST students
- PFMS Scheme of Post-matric scholarship for SC students
- PFMS Scholarship of National means cum merit scheme
- PFMS National scheme of incentive for girl child
- PFMS Post-matric scholarship for OBC students
- PFMS Up-gradation scheme for the benefit of SC students
- PFMS Scholarship to provide top-class education to SC students
- All candidates must have passed the 12th standard examination.
- Candidates must have scored very high marks, i.e., they should be in the top creamy layer and among the top 20% of top scorers.
- Age criteria: The minimum age is 18 years, and the maximum age is 25 years to apply for the scholarship.
- The scholarship is mainly aimed to aid the weaker sections and economically backward classes financially.
- Hence the annual income of parents should be less than 6 lakhs per annum, and only such candidates’ application shall be further processed.
10. TIMES SPARK SCHOLARSHIP
This is an endeavour to encourage school students of class IX to XII to develop a reading habit that helps them understand our society and environment so that they can go on to write in the future. The Times of India will carry ONE article per day across a range of fields like current affairs, science & technology, sports, politics, social issues, global developments, etc. Over a span of 3 months, these articles will provide multi-dimensional perspectives to help you get a deeper understanding of various interesting subjects. In the end, there would be an online test followed by an interview to assess your understanding & perspectives. The Times of India will carry ONE article per day across a range of fields like current affairs, science & technology, sports, politics, social issues, global developments, etc. Over a span of 3 months, these articles will provide multi-dimensional perspectives to help you get a deeper understanding of various interesting subjects. In the end, there would be an online test followed by an interview to assess your understanding & perspectives.
- Students of class IX to XII can apply for this program in two different levels:
- Level – I for students with birth date from 01.07.2001 to 30.06.2004
- Level – II for students with birth date from 01.07.1998 to 30.06.2001
- The program is free for all. No registration fee.
11. MHRD SCHOLARSHIP
MHRD provides different scholarships to underprivileged students such as Pre-Matric, Post-Matric, Merit Cum Means, & Minority. Only 18 to 25 years students can apply for this scholarship. There are 2 categories of scholarships:
- National Scholarships
- Central Sector Scholarship for Top Class ST students.
- Special Scholarship for Jammu and Kashmir.
- Scholarship Scheme is for Students from the Non-Hindi Speaking States for Post Matric Studies in Hindi.
2. External scholarships/International Scholarship
- Commonwealth Scholarship for the United Kingdom and New Zealand.
- Scholarships offered by Mexico, China, Sri Lanka, South Korea, Israel, and Italy.
- Agatha Harrison Memorial Scholarship.
- The applicant has to visit the official website (www.mhrd.gov.in.)
- Click on Register.
- Fill the application form correctly with valid information.
- You have to upload educational documents, income certificate, ID proof, admission letter, caste certificate, and disability certificate in the form.
- A passport size photograph along with your signature.
- Click on the Submit Button.
- Take a copy of this Application form for future use.
12. STS SCHOLARSHIP
The primary objective of STS is to familiarize the medical students with the research methods and techniques. The institute awards deserving students from MCI/DCI recognized medical or dental colleges. STS is a short-term scholarship that encourages and supports MBBS/BDS students.
- MBBS/BDS students pursuing medical or dental colleges recognized MCI/DCI before they appear for the final exams are eligible for the scholarship. Hence, interns/PG students cannot apply for the scholarship.
- Students of paramedical or non-medical courses are not eligible to apply.
- Aspirants must carry out the research in his or her medical or dental college under the guide in the medical college. The guide must be a permanent full-time faculty member of the medical or dental college.
- Only one student can work under one guide.
- Two or more students cannot work on a similar topic together.
- Indian National aspirants studying in recognized medical/dental colleges of India are eligible to apply.
- Students with OCI cards/ PIO cards/NRI studying in Indian medical/dental College can also apply for the scholarship provided they submit a copy of the OCI/ PIO/ NRI card.
- Aspirants from foreign medical/dental colleges are not eligible for this program.
Selected aspirants will be eligible for the reward. Candidates will receive a stipend of INR 10,000 per month for a two-month duration. The officials will pay the stipend post the completion of the research and approval of the final report. The institute where the research is conducted must pay the cost of research. The officials will issue a certificate and post it to the principal’s/college office after six to eight months of the announcement of the report result. The officials will issue the certificate only to the students whose reports will be selected.
By Tunisha Banerjee