There are two course at undergraduate level available to join for nursing career after class 12. These are BSc Nursing (Basic) degree course and Post Basic BSc (Nursing) degree course. In Tamil Nadu there are 5 Government Colleges, 183 Private Colleges and 6 Deemed Universities offering these courses.
Eligibility criteria for BSc (Nursing) Degree Course:
- Should have cleared 10+2 class Science Physics, Chemistry, Biology & English Core or English Elective
- Should have a minimum of 45% marks from recognized boards
- Appearing in 10+2 examination in Science from National Institute of Open School with 45 marks minimum marks
- Transfer Certificate
Post Basic B.Sc.(Nursing) Degree Course:
- Who have passed Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery Examination by the concerned State Board
- Having an Eligibility Certificate from the University.
- Marks of Higher Secondary or Senior Secondary or Intermediate or 10+2 or an equivalent examination recognized by the Board of Examination.
- Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery
- The Tamil Nadu Nurses and Midwives Council Registration
- Transfer Certificate.
Official University responsible for Nursing admissions in Tamil Nadu:
Dr. MGR Medical University (TNMGRMU) is a medical university in Chennai and is responsible for all admissions of allied Health Services under which the nursing courses fall.
The university offers the following UG programmes to its students:
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (BPharm.)
- Bachelor of Science (BSc)
- Bachelor of Nursing (BSc Nursing)
- Post Basic Bachelor of Nursing (PB-BSc Nursing)
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (B.P.T.)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (B.O.T.)
BSc And Post Basic BSc Nursing admissions in Tamil Nadu
The university holds an entrance exam each year for the admission to BSc courses in nursing. Admission is based on marks secured by the candidates in the university entrance examination.
There is a registration process which is online and a prescribed application fee of Rs. 1400/- needs to be paid and completed relevant original certificates are submitted.
Application Process for Indian candidates:
Online application form is available at the university website a
It has to be submitted with the required fee.
Candidate must submit the registration fee of Rs. 1200/- for application and eligibility certificate through online payment gateway for students. The application and eligibility certificate fee is non-refundable
Application Process for NRI candidates:
Candidates with advanced level qualification and central board examination in foreign countries can also submit online application forms.
The eligibility fee amount of Rs. 10,100/- through Demand Draft (DD) in favour of The Registrar, Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai is to be paid.
Candidate should be of Indian origin settled other countries
Or should be born to parents of Indian origin in an overseas country.
Candidate under NRI quota must possess Indian passport.
Important dates for the admission process for BSc nursing courses in Tamil Nadu
|Date of Notification||4th week of August|
|Date of Commencement of online application||4th week of August|
|Last date for online submission of application||1st week of September|
|Last date for receipt of filled-in online application form along with a photocopy of certificates||1st week of September|
|Merit List||2nd week of September|
|Allotment of seats by personal appearance||1st week of October 2020|
|Counselling||2nd week of October 2020 (Except holidays)|
|Last date of admission||The time as mentioned in the allotment order of the candidate.|